[Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Mar 2 04:31:02 GMT 2006

Matt,

 > To reiterate... the fcntl64 spins in a blocking wait, so we never see an
 > error unfortunately.

spins in a blocking wait? What does that mean? Either it is spinning
(chewing cpu) or its in a blocking wait (and not chewing cpu). If its
doing both then its a kernel bug.

If this is Linux, and its blocked waiting for a lock, then I'd suggest
catting /proc/locks while its stuck. From that you should be able to
work out the state of each smbd using that tdb, and see if its a
"possible" state or not ('possible' defined by the pattern of locks
tdb does).

Cheers, Tridge