[Samba] 3.0.21c safe_strcat string overflow w/ "net rpc share migrate files"

Thomas Limoncelli limoncelli at web.de
Wed Mar 1 23:03:14 GMT 2006

When migrating files off an existing Win2K file server using "net rpc
share migrate files" with Samba 3.0.21c on SuSE 9.3 Pro I stumbled
across a number of "string overflow by X in safe_strcat" errors on a few
files with non-ASCII characters:

myserver# net rpc share migrate files myshare --acls --attrs
--timestamps -S win2k -U 'XXX\administrator' --destination=`hostname`
Password:
syncing    [myshare] files and directories including ACLs, including DOS
Attributes (preserving timestamps)
[...]
[2006/03/01 23:04:59, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcat_fn(637)
   ERROR: string overflow by 4 in safe_strcat [Meyer ABCD Ostlandstr.,
Carl-Köttgen-Str., Pe]

Also, there are a number of (possibly related) errors of the kind:

could not handle file: \some\long\path\with\special\characters\like
öüäß: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

Would this likely be a Samba or W2K server bug? Is there any way to
migrate these files using any sort of automated mangling? I'm willing to
provide level 10 debug logs, Ethereal traces and whatever it may take to
track it down.

-TL