[Samba] Migration from NT4 to W2K3 AD

James Taylor jtaylor at laszlosystems.com
Wed Mar 1 22:53:37 GMT 2006

So many changes that you are working on... just the migration from NT4 to
AD2k3 is a project, though not too difficult.  You will be moving to an
Active Directory configuration (very similar to OpenLDAP) and binding to the
new AD LDAP database will be critical.  Also, adding the appropriate schema
information to your AD infrastructure.  If you are planning on making a 100%
immediate cutover I would strongly recommend against it.  Starting out in a
mixed environment would be the best until you get the LDAP/AD Samba
Integration resolved.  Since Samba is not fully integrated with AD yet there
could be some issues you might not have foreseen.  If your current admin
working on this project is unfamiliar with Linux and the configuration I
might suggest using an outside source for additional support and help.

I would strongly recommend (if you haven't already building a test lab for
this project to test the entire user migration from NT4 to AD2k3, as well as
how Samba will respond during the Domain changes.  Recently completing a
project very similar to this I know what you are about to go through.

James Taylor
jtaylor at laszlosystems.com