[Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

Fermin Molina fermin at asic.udl.es
Wed Mar 1 14:22:44 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:45 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Fermin Molina wrote:
>
> > I don't know exactly, but when I moved the information
> > from NFS servers to local storage, the problems disappeared.
>

> Samba assumes posix locking semantics on the filesystem.
> NFS locking is broken.  You might try setting
> 'strict locking = no'.  If that doesn't work, you might
> try 'posix locking = no' just as a test.

Well, but I think the problem isn't located in the locking of NFS files;
smbd daemons always get stalled doing a lock of "local" locking.tdb
file. Then, must be broken the ext3 locking? In any case, maybe it's
broken all locking system in linux kernel...

Regarding another subject, I cannot try those settings because now that
the information is 'local' to samba machine and not further mounted from
the NFS server, there haven't been any problems...

Cheers,

--
Fermin Molina Ibarz
Tècnic sistemes - ASIC