[Samba] smbmount ... error

Bob McGowan bob_mcgowan at symantec.com
Fri Jun 30 00:24:16 GMT 2006

I've spent the last 3 hours (it seems like) going over postings in the
comp.protocols.smb newsgroup trying to find a solution for this problem.
  It seems that a lot of folks have had the issue, but none of the posts
I looked at had any useful resolution.  Here's the error:

     28968: protocol negotiation failed
     SMB connection failed

I'm running RHEL 4 Workstation with Samba Version 3.0.10-1.4E.  I'm
running as a client, not a server, and am attempting to mount a share
from a Windows server.  There is much networking mumbo-jumbo in the way,
but I don't think any of it applies, since I can telnet to port 139 on
the server in question and telnet connects nicely.

But any Samba utility I use fails with the above error, never getting to
the point where it asks for a password.  The main command I need to run is:

   smbmount //.../share /data/mount -o username=me

It should prompt me for my password.  The domain is specified correctly
in the smb.conf file.  In fact, I can use 'smbmount' to access another
system in the company, without any problem.

Any suggestions and assistance is much appreciated.  *Please* respond to
me directly as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks in advance.

Bob