[Samba] linux windows synchronisation account : linux client configuration

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Fri Jun 30 18:42:01 GMT 2006

Logan Shaw escreveu:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Edmundo Valle Neto wrote:
>> Stephane Durieux escreveu:
>
>>> I m trying to make unix and linux password synchronisation with
>>> samba using ldap backend, the only question that remains :
>>>
>>> How can I make passwd command use the samba server ?
>>
>> You can use the "ldap passwd sync = yes" option.
>> With that option the LDAP, NT and LM hashes are synchronized, when
>> changed THROUGH SAMBA.
>
> I believe the question was how they can make /usr/bin/passwd
> cause Samba passwords to be updated.  If a Unix (Linux) user
> runs /usr/bin/passwd, it should not change just their Unix
> password but should also change their LM and NT passwords.
> At least that is the request as I am reading it.
>
> In other words, the request is how to preserve the
> /usr/bin/passwd interface that Unix users may be familiar with,
> while at the same time not causing that interface to cause
> passwords to go out of sync.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know an answer to that question...
>
>   - Logan

Yes, I included something about that in the old message too, wasnt
exactly what he asked but is another way to do it (without PAM):

Linux clients can change the passwords using smbldap-passwd.

So, you don't need to use PAM to do that, the clients can use
smbldap-passwd (that makes the same thing that passwd does) but it
access the LDAP server directly changing all the passwords.

Edmundo.