[Samba] Help with last step of connecting

museundying muse.undying at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 16:00:48 GMT 2006

I have been attempting to connect to a Samba share located on a Linux box for
quite some time now and have nto been able to find the right answers online,
so I've decided it would be best to come here. I'm trying to connect using
Windows XP. I''m pretty sure I have everything set up correctly including
encrypted passwords. When I try to connect to the share through a different
linux box using smbclient it works perfectly. Here is what happens when I
try to connect through an SSH tunnel: I try to 'Map Network Drive...' in XP
and then I tell it to connect to \\localhost\<sharename> and to use my samba
username and password when connecting. What happens next is the most
peculilar part. A authentication dialog box comes up over and over again for
me to enter my username and password into. No matter what combination I use
(i. e. USERS\<username>, username at USERS) the authentication box still keeps
coming up. The strangest part is that in /var/log/samba on the linux box I'm
trying to connect to, there is a log with my computer name on it: <machine
name>.log where <machine name> is the name of my computer running WinXP.
There is also an error in the log for the machine I'm using for the tunnel
that says "Gethostbyaddr failed: (<IP addr I'm using for the SSH tunnel).
Hopefully this wasn't too confusing and I feel like I'm so close, so any
guesses or help is very much appreciated. Thanks!