[Samba] VMS (Alpha) Platform - Neophyte questions

Bill Clark bclark at lrgh.org
Fri Jun 30 15:13:51 GMT 2006

Greetings - have downloaded , 'attempted' install of 2.2.8 on OpenVMS Alpha
systems (7.2 *and* 7.3)

Many problems, up to and including total failure to succeed.

Followed instructions (DOWNLOAD, UNZIP "-V", BACKUP.).

   COMPILE  FROM SOURCE - failed, although the Dec CC compiler is one I use
frequently.

   LINK-ONLY - many errors

   ADDED SNPRINTF.OBJ to the OLB, Retried LINK-ONLY

   Result : No joy.

On one occasion I went ahead with the INSTALL on the chance that

the LINK errors were only 'WARNINGS', no success.

Also (coincidentally? ) there was no 'SAMBA_STARTUP.COM' file created,
although there are

two SAMBA_SHUTDOWN.COM' files.

Have started from DOWNLOAD step several times, trying variations of COMPILE
FROM SOURCE

Or LINK-ONLY.

Have tried some USENET groups, VMS-Wizard, GOOGLE, etc looking for examples
or guidance.

Anyone with recent 'successful' experience installing SAMBA on VMS 7.2 or
7.3, please feel free to

share..

Thanks in advance

bclark at lrgh.org