[Samba] Oplocks not taking place at all unless fake oplocks = yes

Chris Wagner chriswagner at amyskitchen.net
Thu Jun 29 15:53:41 GMT 2006

Hi folks I'm running two Samba servers.  One is on Ubuntu 5.10
(samba-3.0.14a-6ubuntu1), the other is SuSE Linux Enterprise Server
(samba-3.0.20b-3.4).  The Ubuntu box is on my local network, and the
SLES box is across a WAN with an intervening WAFS appliance with TCP
acceleration.

Neither set-up seems to grant an oplock to the client unless I turn on
'fake oplocks'.  I've set 'oplocks = yes' and 'locking = yes' explicitly
in my config file to no avail.

Obviously, 'fake oplocks' isn't something I want to turn on in a
production environment.  I'm looking for some help in narrowing down
where the problem lies.

Thanks in advance.

--
Christopher Wagner