[Samba] Group permissions and recursion

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Wed Jun 28 00:45:08 GMT 2006

Jeremy,

Never having worked with winbind, I claim a certain amount of ignorance
here. I can't login as a specific user because I don't have telnet
enabled on the samba server (none of the specific kerberos stuff is
configured). Even though I have the template shell configured and getent
passwd shows everything correctly for user 'CATNET\rtanner', I can't
login via ssh. When I use smbclient I don't have access to the id
command (or I don't know how to access it). But when logged in as root,
I do "getent group | grep 'CATNET\\rtanner', I see what I expected. It
shows me in the 'CATNET\adm staff' security group but not in
'CATNET\adm'. The former is a member of the latter so, at least on
Microsoft Windows shares access granted to 'CATNET\adm' applies to
'CATNET\adm staff' as well, and that's what's not happening when
mounting SAMBA shares.

So, at this point, I'm not sure how to go about starting to debug why
winbind isn't showing my membership in the 'CATNET\adm' group as well.
I've followed the procedures in the official HOWTO, but if there's
something I missed that would cause just this particular problem, do you
know what that might be?

Thanks,
Rob