[Samba] smbldap-passwd and uppercased schemes

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Mon Jun 26 23:05:38 GMT 2006

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at the IDEALX smbldap-passwd script (the version which
comes with samba 3.0.22, in the examples directory), and it seems
to want to set the password scheme to an uppercase string, i.e.:

     {CRYPT}foobarfoobar
     {MD5}barfoobarfoo

However, looking at RFC 2307 ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2307.txt ),
in section 5.3, it would appear that these are supposed to be lowercase,
like this:

     {crypt}foobarfoobar
     {md5}barfoobarfoo

So, my question is, is the scheme case-sensitive?  The RFC doesn't
give any indication that case is irrelevant, but smbldap-passwd
uses uppercase and (presumably) gets away with it.

Obviously I easily hack the script to fix this, but I only want to
do that if it's really necessary -- I like to stick with vanilla
versions of things unless there's a good reason not to.

   - Logan