[Samba] Samba WINS Questions

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Mon Jun 26 19:23:30 GMT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Vincent Fonteneau wrote:
> I'm using Samba 3.0.21c with PDC and severals BDC in different subnets.
>
> I'm triing to use Wins servers on all the BDC servers and on the PDC. The
> problems occurs in the network browsing.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong (please...),
but as far as I know, the only valid WINS configuration is to
have exactly one WINS server for a given domain.  WINS servers
can't sync, so if you have more than one, you would have two
different, inconsistent view of the NetBIOS names available
within the domain.

   - Logan