[Samba] Samba installation error on multi-processor server machines with Linux 2.6 SMP kernel

Nandun Hewapathirana NHewapathirana at virtusa.com
Fri Jun 23 04:22:57 GMT 2006

Hi,

I tried to install Samba server into my hp-proliant server that is
support for linux 2.6 smp Kernel. But when I am going to install samba
it removed my smp kernel and try to install samba. What I want to know
is why samba installation removed existing smp linux kernel. Below I
have paste the screen shot of the samba installation.

scmsamba:~# apt-get install samba winbind krb5-doc krb5-user krb5-config

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

  busybox grub klibc-utils libc6 libcupsys2 libgcrypt11 libgnutls12
libgnutls13 libgpg-error0 libkadm55 libklibc libkrb53

  libldap2 libncurses5 libopencdk8 libsasl2 libselinux1 libsepol1
libtasn1-3 libvolume-id0 locales lsb-base makedev

  module-init-tools samba-common tzdata

Suggested packages:

  grub-doc grubconf glibc-doc rng-tools gnutls-bin

Recommended packages:

  libsasl2-modules libtasn1-3-bin smbldap-tools

The following packages will be REMOVED:

  base-config initrd-tools kernel-image-2.6-686-smp
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386 kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp

  busybox klibc-utils krb5-config krb5-doc krb5-user libcupsys2
libgnutls12 libgnutls13 libkadm55 libklibc libkrb53 libldap2

  libsasl2 libselinux1 libsepol1 libtasn1-3 libvolume-id0 lsb-base samba
samba-common tzdata winbind

  grub libc6 libgcrypt11 libgpg-error0 libncurses5 libopencdk8 locales
makedev module-init-tools

9 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 5 to remove and 118 not upgraded.

Need to get 20.6MB of archives.

After unpacking 62.4MB disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Thanks,

Nandun Hewapathirana

E-mail: nhewapathirana at virtusa.com