[Samba] Upgrading to latest version on Solaris 2.6...

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Thu Jun 22 22:32:48 GMT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Mathew W. Hurd wrote:
> i'm currently running version 2.0.7 on my Solaris 2.6 box.
>
> i'd like to upgrade to the latest (samba-3.0.22-1-noads-sunos5.9-sparc.pkg.gz)
> but i am not certain if it is compatible with my version of Solaris.

That wouldn't be compatible, because based on the "sunos5.9" in the
filename, it would be a package for SunOS 5.9, i.e. Solaris 9.

That will mean it's linked against all Solaris 9 versions of the shared
libraries and may rely on other binary interfaces as well.  Sun does a
very good job of ensuring that binary compatibility is retained when you
take software built on an older system and bring it forward to a newer
system, but the reverse isn't true, so I wouldn't expect that package
to work.

If I were you, I'd do one of three things:
1)  Build from source.  Not really that hard, hopefully.
2)  Upgrade and get off Solaris 2.6 and onto something which
     isn't positively ancient.  :-)
3)  Go digging for a binary package from somewhere else.
     For instance, http://www.sunfreeware.com/ seems to have
     a Samba 3.0.10 built for SPARC Solaris 2.6.  Maybe you
     can find a newer one somewhere else.

Hope that helps...

   - Logan