[Samba] using unix authentication (/etc/passwd)

rich rich at thevillas.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 12:52:34 GMT 2006

Gary Dale wrote:
> How are you adding users?
adding users to the box with 'useradd' and now I also have to add users
who want samba access with smbpasswd -a username as well.

> You don't seem to have an add user script!
erm, no, must have missed that! Is there an example one in the samba dir?
> Look at the sample smb.conf files in the HowTo collection or the Samba
> by Example  - both at www.samba.org. Also, you almost certainly want
> to encrypt passwords.
I probably should do but haven't up till now

> I recommend installing SWAT if you haven't done so already and use its
> wizard to set your box up as a domain controller (since that seems to
> be how you want to use it).
yes, I really should do, but didn't think i'd need to if I just copied
over my previous smb.conf.
thanks