[Samba] using unix authentication (/etc/passwd)

rich rich at thevillas.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 08:32:25 GMT 2006

Hi when using samba version Version 2.0.5a (I didn't compile) I never
had to explicitly set up samba users with smbpasswd -a.
Since upgrading to version 3.0.22 I now have to add each user otherwise
I get the following in the logs

[2006/06/15 14:20:46, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(317)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [richard] -> [richard]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

When setting up I simply copied over the old version of smb.conf that I
used to use.

global]
        workgroup = GENOMICS
        server string = Genome Centre Samba Server (Mendel)
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 2
        #log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.log.%m
        log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 50
        wins support = Yes
        invalid users = root bin web daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail
news uucp operator nuucp lp listen nobody noaccess nobody4 david gaget anna
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. localhost

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /userdata/home/%u
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = No

I've tried setting encrypt password = no but this doesn't make any
difference.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Rich