[Samba] Accessing home directories problem (XP Home Edition)

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Jun 22 02:43:49 GMT 2006

You cannot log onto a Samba domain (or any type of Windows domain) from
Window XP/home. However, if you set up users on your Samba server, you
can share their home directories. When Windows tries to connect, it will
pass the current user name and password so you can access network
shares. Note that these users need to be defined in Samba for the
password checking to work.

You can try playing around with %u in the path directive for your home
directories. e.g. path = /home/%u.

Try using SWAT to do the heavy lifting on this (such as creating your
users).