[Samba] Printer comments and other weirdness

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Wed Jun 21 23:28:52 GMT 2006

Adam Nielsen wrote:
>> Now, a few days later, I'm looking at my printers and I notice that
>> the comments that show up on the print shares themselves still reflect
>> some old data I originally entered. The comments appear correct under
>> Printers and Faxes, but not directoy under the server, nor in the view
>> that my users will access using the Add a Printer Wizard.
>
> I've got the same problem with the server comments.  I added a comment
> to the Samba server (server string = blah) which appeared straight
> away, but when I saw how it appeared on the client machines I removed
> it.  That was eight months ago, and the client PCs are still showing
> the old server string - so I've given up now and decided to live with
> it, as it's being cached somewhere but I haven't the faintest idea
> where.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

i don't think it's samba at all, caching the name/comment that is.  i
installed a new pdc and manually recreated everything on the new pdc.
when the windows clients connect, the names for the shared drives in the
"my computer" window still retain the comment of the old pdc.  i can
rename them on the client however.

--
Anthony
http://messinet.com