[Samba] Excluding redirected directories causes file deletion on logout...(solved)

Jeff Ross jross at wykids.org
Wed Jun 21 21:01:19 GMT 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Jeff Ross wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Samba:  samba-3.0.21
> OS:     OpenBSD
>
> I built a new WinXP (sp2 and fully updated) box with the the idea of making a
> Default User profile.  I followed the directions in the "Making Happy Users"
> section of the Samba-3 By Example guide.
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold
>
> Folder redirection is working, using the %LOGONSERVER%\profiles\%USERNAME%\
> string to replace %USERPROFILE%.
>
> But, when I use gpedit.mmc to exclude the redirected folders from the roaming
> profile, as instructed here
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#sbehap-locgrppol
>
> all files in the redirected folders are deleted when the user logs out.
>
> In other words, if a user logs in, downloads the firefox installer and saves
> it on the desktop, I can immediately see it in that user's /profiles/Desktop
> directory on the Samba server.  When the user logs out, the firefox installer
> is deleted from the /profiles/Desktop directory and obviously no longer on
> the Desktop when the user logs in again.
>
> This surely can't be correct, but I don't know if this is a documentation
> problem, a Windows problem, or a samba problem.  If instead of putting the
> folders I redirected in the exclusion box, I _disable_ the whole "Exclude
> directories in roaming profile" option, I don't get the file deletion
> problem, however, I also then see the redirected folders copied to the users
> computer on login.
>
> I put a copy of my smb.conf and a level 5 log of a new user logging in,
> getting and using the Default User profile, copying the firefox installer
> from /apps to his Desktop and then logging off on our web site
>
> http://www.wykids.org/samba/
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Jeff Ross
> Wyoming Children's Action Alliance

As a followup for the archives, my initial diagnosis about the Excluded
redirected directories causeing file deletion was not correct.  Instead,
with redirected folders working, it appears that it is mandatory that the
"Prevent roaming profile changes from propagating to the server" in the
Group Policy editor be enabled.

Start->Run->gpedit.mmc->Computer Configuration->Administrative
Templates->System->User Profiles

Enable "Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders"
Enable "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" (See IMPORTANT below!)
Enable "Prevent roaming profile changes from propagating to the server"

Start->Run->gpedit.mmc->User Configuration->Administrative
Templates->System->User Profiles

Enable "Exclude directories in roaming profile"
Put the directories you redirected with regedt32 in the exclusion box.

My list is:  Local Settings;Temporary Internet
Files;History;Temp;Application Data;Cookies;Desktop;Favorites;My
Documents;NetHood;PrintHood;Recent;SendTo;Start Menu;Templates

Hope that helps someone else in the future.  If I'm not correct in any of
this, please reply to set the record straight.

Jeff Ross

IMPORTANT!  If your users use Outlook Express, or Outlook with the default
setup, you CANNOT delete the cached copy of the local profile on logout.
Outlook Express stores all of its junk in the Local Settings folder, and
if this folder is deleted on logout, all POP mail, address books, and
settings WILL BE DELETED!.

You might think that the Local Settings folder could also be redirected to
the server, but Outlook Express will refuse to start if you do.

Thunderbird stores its mail in Application Data, so it works very well
with redirected folders.