[Samba] Re: authentication performance problem

Jérôme Warnier jwarnier at beeznest.net
Wed Jun 21 09:32:45 GMT 2006

Le mardi 20 juin 2006 à 21:04 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter a écrit :
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Jér Warnier wrote:
>
> > So the kernel oplocks are not activated by default? If not, may I
> > request you do it? There are little chances someone willing to use the
> > latest Samba packages for his Sarge is still running a 2.2 kernel. See
> > here to actually do it: http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/327
>
> I can't answer that.  You'll need to talk ti Simo Sorce who maintains the
> packages.  In general, kernel oplocks are always enabled by default unless
> it is a known broken kernel.  Kernel oplocks weren't introduced until the
> 2.4 kernel so a package compiled on a 2.4 kernel system would be broken on
> a 2.2 system.

In Debian Sarge (and I guess also with these packages), as explained
here above, kernel oplocks are disabled by default at build time to make
it work on 2.2 kernels. On Etch and above, 2.2 kernels are no longer
officially supported, so this is no longer a problem.

I will try to install those packages on the problematic machine this
evening and will let you know soon.

Thanks

--
Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier at beeznest.net>