[Samba] samba as a time server (newby question): time not updated

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Tue Jun 20 13:21:55 GMT 2006

At 06:14 AM Tuesday, 6/20/2006, Michael Wood wrote -=>
>Hi
>
>On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:17:53PM +1000, Ivan Teliatnikov wrote:
> > Colleagues,
> >
> > I am trying to use my PDC as a time server.
> >
>[snip]
> > What do I need to do to ensure that time is synchronised on XP client
> > when non-admin user logs into the machine.
>
>Why don't you just set up an NTP server on your Samba server and
>then point all the WinXP boxes at it.  I think it's under "Time"
>in the control panel, or if you right-click on the time in the
>system tray.  By default it syncs off time.windows.com or
>something like that.
>
>I am not a Windows person, so I don't know if you can do this
>via group policies or whatever.

I use logon scripts for windows clients and add the following:
NET TIME \\pdc_server_name /SET /YES

I use ntpdate from a cron job to poll a stratum 2 time server which
keeps the pdc up to date.

Works well here....

Ed

Randomly Generated Quote (1022 of 1055):
Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well?
They have the same enemy--the mother. -Claudette Colbert