[Samba] Hard Solaris 8 compile

Bruce W Lundberg blundber at redwood.aur.us.ray.com
Fri Jun 16 21:12:29 GMT 2006

We currently have a samba install on Solaris 8 providing a front-end to a
Rational ClearCase system. Because of some recent changes, we are having
Kerberose issues in validating files (too many open files). After some research,
I found that the best way to resolve these is to re-compile samba as a 64bit
application to increase the open file restrictions on a Solaris 32 bit app.

The problem I am having is this:

I cannot get the 64bit compile to work properly under Solaris 8 (it seems to
revolve around the 32 bit ld commmand in /usr/ccs/bin. Since I am compiling from
the ground up w/ AD support, there's a lot of things going on.

The errors I run into are very consistant

ld consistantly fails w/

ld: fatal: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to...

In various of the supporting libraries

I've tried using the 64 bit ld in /usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9/
Built a GNU ld (I had problems w/ gcc -m64 there also). I've gotten some thing
working by logical links to both the GNU and sparcv9 ld commands, however
whenever a shared library (*.so) is actually built, it still comes out as a 32
bit ELF file even though all the object files are 64 bit ELF formats

I have gcc v3.4.2 from Sun Freeware and have noticed that is was compiled using
the 32 bit ld  (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) and am going to try to re-compile gcc using the
64 bit ld (/usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9/ld)

If anyone has been through this wringer, I'd appreciate a place to look to get
going again, and maybe some pointers of what I'm missing in this process.

pertinent environment varibles:

gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2

CFLAGS=-mcpu=v9 -mv8plus -m64 -pthreads

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include
-I/usr/local/ssl/include

LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/lib/sparcv9 -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib -L/usr/lib

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/sparcv9:/usr/lib/sparv9:/usr/local/ssl/lib:/usr/sfw/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib

TIA

Bruce Lundberg
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator