[Samba] Printing from Windows over samba

malcolm malcolm at malcolm-agnew.de
Mon Jun 19 07:13:23 GMT 2006

I have the following problem printing from Windoze with the Brother DCP 7010.

The printer is local on a Linux box running under SuSE 10.0. The printer is
running under CUPS with the drivers downloaded from Brother. For Windows I
have set up a raw device which is accessed over samba.

When I print from windows, which I can from various situations --- i.e.
Firefox, Excel, etc, printing is very slow (up to 2 minutes).

But I cannot print at all from WinWord. A message box appears saying that the
printer is not available, and suggests I should see whether the printer is
switched on.

Anybody there with a suggestion?

Malcolm

Malcolm Agnew