[Samba] Re: password change on WinXP

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Mon Jun 19 14:49:42 GMT 2006

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Petteri Larjos wrote:
> Thank you Conrad for answering. If I remember correctly the laptop users need
> two accounts (local and remote) even though samba is PDC or one could not
> logon when not connected to LAN. How this is handled?

As I understand it, Windows clients will cache logon information.
So you can logon once while connected to the LAN and thus having
the PDC accessible, then in the future when you are disconnected
from the LAN, you can still logon and the Windows client will
authenticate you using the locally cached authentication info.
Here's a MS knowledge base article about it:

 	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172931/

Now, what I don't know is whether taking advantage of this is
considered a best practice in the Windows world.  For all I know,
the cached information might expire after a week or something, which
could leave someone in a bind if they are away from the LAN for
too long (say, on a business trip).  Anyone have comments about that?

   - Logan