[Samba] "smbd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Can't contact LDAP server" and Samba shares are dropped

David Landgren landgren at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:16:38 GMT 2006

On 6/19/06, Michael Cassaniti <m.cassaniti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I Believe that this could be a corrupted secrets.tdb file that may be
> losing your ldap password. Please note that this is only a guess. I
> really can't offer you too much in the way of help.

If that were the case, then once it was corrupted, it wouldn't work
after a shutdown and restart, wouldn't it?

> Your logs show a search of ldap for a lot of posix account
> information. I don't know if that is normal or not, but if it isn't,
> then maybe winbind is causing some trouble cause that might be why the
> search chases after those attributes. If I'm off track, sorry about
> that.

I'm not running winbind. Í'm using NSS to obtain account information.

> You could also have one of the two of them causing some locking. How
> are you doing for space, as in hard drive space?

No problem with respect to space. How would I see if locking was occurring?

> I really hope someone else is much more helpful than I am.

So do I :) But thank-you for taking the time to respond