[Samba] pdc loosing domain sometimes

Markus Markert migrator at qualigo.de
Mon Jun 19 08:31:07 GMT 2006

hi list,

i have a strange problem. sometimes my samba pdc is loosing the domain master
and a linux workstation with active samba on it gets the domain master
status. maybee someone of you had the same problem or can help me.

the smb.conf global section of the pdc server

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = NETBIOSNAME
        server string = SAMBA PDC Server
        security = user
        passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://127.0.0.1 ldap://192.168.0.xx"
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
        time server = Yes
        printcap name = CUPS
        printing = cups
        printer admin = samba @"MY USER GROUP"
        use sendfile = no
        show add printer wizard = yes
        encrypt passwords = true
        Dos charset = 850
        Unix charset = ISO8859-1
        local master = yes
        os level = 255
        domain master = Yes
        prefered master = Yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = U:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        logon script = %U.bat
        wins support = Yes
        bind interfaces only = true
        interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1/8 192.168.0.xx/24

        # LDAP Parameters deleted, works very well

smb.conf of the global sektion which is collect sometimes the domain master of
the network
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        printer admin = samba @"MY USER GROUP"
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        security = user
        local master = yes
        os level = 1

do you think it could be better if i write in the smb.conf`s of the clients,
domain logons=no and domain master=no, can help me??

hope that someone can help me.

greetings

markus