[Samba] Excluding redirected directories causes file deletion on logout...

Jeff Ross jross at wykids.org
Fri Jun 16 20:02:25 GMT 2006

Hi,

Samba:  samba-3.0.21
OS:     OpenBSD

I built a new WinXP (sp2 and fully updated) box with the the idea of
making a Default User profile.  I followed the directions in the "Making
Happy Users" section of the Samba-3 By Example guide.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold

Folder redirection is working, using the
%LOGONSERVER%\profiles\%USERNAME%\ string to replace %USERPROFILE%.

But, when I use gpedit.mmc to exclude the redirected folders from the
roaming profile, as instructed here

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#sbehap-locgrppol

all files in the redirected folders are deleted when the user logs out.

In other words, if a user logs in, downloads the firefox installer and
saves it on the desktop, I can immediately see it in that user's
/profiles/Desktop directory on the Samba server.  When the user logs out,
the firefox installer is deleted from the /profiles/Desktop directory and
obviously no longer on the Desktop when the user logs in again.

This surely can't be correct, but I don't know if this is a documentation
problem, a Windows problem, or a samba problem.  If instead of putting the
folders I redirected in the exclusion box, I _disable_ the whole "Exclude
directories in roaming profile" option, I don't get the file deletion
problem, however, I also then see the redirected folders copied to the
users computer on login.

I put a copy of my smb.conf and a level 5 log of a new user logging in,
getting and using the Default User profile, copying the firefox installer
from /apps to his Desktop and then logging off on our web site

http://www.wykids.org/samba/

Many thanks,

Jeff Ross
Wyoming Children's Action Alliance