[Samba] I have no winbind pipe!

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Fri Jun 16 19:40:19 GMT 2006

sneezewort wrote:
> You can ping with "wbinfo -p" command.
> I can't stop winbind, in fact I cant even "kill" it by pid. I even tried to
> reboot, but winbindd is still unkillable, and no wbinfo or "net join"
> commands work. I tried to do a full uninstall and reinstall, but the problem
> remains.
> --
> Sent from the Samba - General forum at Nabble.com.

I have had Samba processes that do not respond to kill either.  However,
you can pass the kill command options that will sometimes help.  kill -9
is the most severe, and in most cases will kill just about anything.
(If it doesn't, you've got more serious issues with your kernel).
However, make sure that there aren't more graceful ways first.  Do a man
kill to see what options there are.  But, if all else fails, there is
the -9.  I know I've had to use it more than I'd like...

Best,
Ryan