[Samba] ldapsam with user level security

Craig Jackson CJackson at abbott-simses.com
Fri Jun 16 14:48:48 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces+cjackson=abbott-simses.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+cjackson=abbott-simses.com at lists.samba.org]On

Craig Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Everything I can find about using the ldapsam
> backend seems to imply that samba will be used
> as a domain controller. Is it possible to use
> ldapsam as the backend and have just a user level
> security workgroup?

Yes.  But only domain controllers can share accounts
in an ldapsam backend due to the fact that the user's
full SID is stored.

Okay. Not being a windows person too much, I don't know what sharing accounts means. I assume it means replicating accounts across PDC and BDC. Can I not simply use openldap replication to simulate this? Thanks.

Craig