[Samba] Re: password change on WinXP

Conrad Lawes pxeboot at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 14:49:27 GMT 2006

Windows XP  and Samba are working as expected.  You would see the same
result if your server was a Windows NT or Win2k box.

In the Windows  world,  a user can have 2 accounts: one that resides locally
on the workstation and another on the domain controller.   Both accounts are
distinct and separate from each other.   This means that  changes made to
the local account has no impact or influence on the domain account and visa
versa.

As a system administrator, you must choose ONE account.  Having users with
both accounts  will, undoubtably,  make your job more difficult as you are
seeing now.   Domain accounts are must easier to manage.  An experienced
system administrator will always choose domain-based user accounts unless
there's a compelling reason to do otherwise.

In my case, end users do not have local accounts on their Windows desktops.
This ensures that every end user MUST log onto the Samba domain.  This also
means that they (and myself) only have one password to worry about.
Furthermore, any password change is automatically updated on the Samba
server.

Some the benefits of domain-based user accounts:

   - Centralized management.e.g. the system admin can reset or disable a
   users account without having to physically access that user's workstation.
   - Roaming profiles
   - Login scripts
   - Folder redirection
   - Ease of software installation - you can leverage login scripts to
   automate this process.
   - Sharing of resources - DVD, CD and printers can be shared easily
   - Security
   - Data protection - a failed workstation does not necessarily mean
   lost data if roaming profile and folder redirection are implemented
   properly.

--
Regards,
Conrad Lawes