[Samba] Windows XP 64-bit, Samba 3 and permissions

Justin Finkelstein justin at redwiredesign.com
Thu Jun 15 12:26:09 GMT 2006

Hi guys

I've been running Samba 3 for a while as my PDC in our office with a number
of XP clients and a MacOS 10 client, without undue problems.

Recently, though, we upgraded a couple of workstations to 64bit and these
two workstations now have problems getting up the user dialog that 32bit XP
has no problem with.

When you select a folder, go to it's security options and hit 'add' to add a
user. This brings up a dialog which reads:

	"The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot
determine whether the computer named "server" is joined to a domain. Close
this message, and try again."

Then if you close it, you get the following message pop up:

	"Unable to display the user selection dialog. This action is only
valid for products that are currently installed."

I've no idea why this is a problem. The Samba box is configured as a PDC and
doesn't appear to cause problems for any other workstations.

For ref, I am running Samba 3.0.22 and my smb.conf is included below.

Any thoughts on this? Chances are it's a config problem, but it's just very
bizarre.

Thanks,

Justin

--- smb.conf ---

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.2.11 (192.168.2.11)
# Date: 2006/04/10 12:23:07

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = DOMAIN
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	log level = 3
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	name resolve order = wins bcast
	load printers = No
	add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-user %u
	delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-user %u
	add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-group %g
	delete group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-group %g
	add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-user-group %u %g
	delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-rm-user-group %u
%g
	add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smb-add-machine %u
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	lm announce = Yes
	lm interval = 120