[Samba] Maximum samba file transfer speed on gigabit...

bjquinn at seidal.com bjquinn at seidal.com
Tue Jun 13 14:05:32 GMT 2006

> Try the following:
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536
> IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> 	use sendfile = no
> 	lock spin time = 15
> 	lock spin count = 100
> 	oplocks = no
> 	level2 oplocks = no
> You may have to tune your smb settings to get foxpro to perform properly
> on you server hardware.  Have a look at:
> http://www.drouillard.ca/Tips&Tricks/Samba/Oplocks.htm

I tried the above settings although I modified the lock spin count to 30,
as suggested by the website you pointed me to, since our hardware was
comparable to the machine used as an example for when 30 would be a good
choice.  I have to say that this did make a difference - and basically
nothing else I have ever tried has made a difference - but it wasn't as
significant as I would have hoped.  Our 65 second FoxPro query shortened
to 55 seconds.  That doesn't really help much, but the fact that these
settings actually had a marginally positive effect on the speed of the
query is promising.  Maybe these are the correct settings to modify, but
they're not tweaked correctly.  That being said, could you explain what
these settings actually do so that I can have a better idea of how to
modify these settings to best match my equipment?  It's basically a
Pentium D 3.2 GHz with 2 GB memory, gigabit network, and a RAID 10 array
of 4 15K RPM SAS drives.  (Although I don't think that raid array is
performing up to par - likely some sort of driver issue, I'm still getting
50-60 MB/s sustained from the disks and across the network.)

Thanks for the help!

-BJ Quinn