[Samba] Windows XP and Samba 3.0.22 -- don't mix?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 13 17:24:20 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:37:05AM -0400, Ryan Steele wrote:

> I desperately need a resolution to this issue.  I've asked once (about a
> day or two ago), but I haven't heard anything back.  The only reason I
> press the issue is I may because without a quick resolution, I may be
> forced to switch over to AD (cry!).  I submitted a request via Bugzilla
> but I saw a slightly similar problem with 3.0.20a that still hasn't been
> resolved, so I thought this might be a quicker route?  Here's a synopsis:

If you *have* to have a resolution on issues then you need to
buy support from someone, or use a Linux distro that has support
available and buy that.

> I navigate through Windows Explorer to My Network Places and so on until
> I get to the server.  I open up a folder on the server.  I execute the
> 'ps auxwww | grep mbd' and sure enough, there's the share.  The
> smbstatus command confirms this.  Now, I close out that Windows Explorer
> window I have open to the server.  However, a 'ps auxwww | grep mbd'
> shows that there is still a connection open to this folder.... an
> smbstatus confirms....  After a few minutes, the user for that pid
> changes to root, and the process just sits in there forever, sucking up
> 0.9% of memory.  This happens with EVERY share Windows opens, and when
> it gets in this state, I can't open any new shares.  I've tried using
> the "deadtime" option to kill these...no dice, they still hang around.
> In fact, the only thing that gets rid of them is a 'killall -9 smbd'.

There isn't a generic problem with Samba and XP, millions of clients
are using it successfully (and I'm not saying that lightly). If the process
seems stuck try attaching to it with gdb or strace and find out what
it's doing. Don't use kill -9, that can damage internal Samba databases.

If you don't know how to do these things then either learn to do so,
or buy support from someone who can. Sorry to seem harsh but the
reality of such pleas is that it's easier to help someone who knows
how to help themself.

Jeremy.