[Samba] Samba authentication fails

Mitch Pope MPope at gwail.com.au
Tue Jun 13 01:31:19 GMT 2006

Hello,

I have an unusual problem and I've only found a small amount of material
after searching for other posts on this topic.  We have a production
server running Samba version 2.2.7a which I'm told has been working
perfectly for many years.  Every day over the last week Samba stops
authenticating users (via Active Directory) requesting access to shares.

Specifically another production server (Windows 2000 SP4) has scripts that
run nightly and pull data off the Samba shares of the BSD server (mapped
network drive to the SMB share).

Often it will loose it's mapping to the SMB share and when attempting to
reconnect an error is returned "connection with the server cannot be
established, device might be in use by another application".  At this
point nothing can connect to the SMB shares, including an XP SP2 box.

SMBD stays running, and does not die.

Restarting smbd fixes the problem for while (1 day or so).

I've checked smbd.log and found nothing unusual.

I'd prefer not to hear that upgrading Samba is the solution, it's been
working and nothing has changed on the OS (BSD 4.11).  Server runs some
very old business critical services that will not run under a newer OS
release.

Kind Regards,
Mitch Pope

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. Please
advise GWA if you have received this email message in error and delete
all  copies.    This  email  message  may  contain  information  which
represents the views  of  the sender and  not necessarily those of GWA
and/or  subsidiary companies.  Virus  protection  is  in  place at GWA
however liability for viruses or similar in any attachment remains the
responsibility of the recipient.  If you are the intended recipient of
this email message you should not copy, disclose  or  distribute  this
email message without the authority of GWA.  GWA cannot guarantee this
email message  has  not  been intercepted  or  interfered with  as  it
traverses the Internet.  Internet email messages sent to  GWA  are not
private communications  and may be viewed by GWA at any time to ensure
compliance with the  GWA Electronic Communications Policy available at
http://policy.gwail.com.au. Please be familiar with this policy if you
intend sending email to GWA or Subsidiary companies.