[Samba] Fedora Core 5 & CIFS - please help!

Kendall Cobb K_Cobb at ADPRO.COM
Mon Jun 12 20:22:17 GMT 2006

After trying a couple of Linux forums & no help I'm hoping that somebody
on the samba list knows how to solve this issue. I'm having a problem
with CIFS. This is a fresh installation of Fedora Core 5. I have 3 XP
machines that I mount by CIFS in my fstab. CIFS mounts the shares with
no problem. I can view and read files on the shares. The problem I have
is when I try to copy a file from any of the XP machines back to the
Linux box. The file will contain zero bytes. If I ftp into the box and
navigate to the mounts & try to ftp a file, the error is "426 Failure
writing network stream." This happens with any ftp client that I have
tried. There are no firewalls on Linux box or the XP machines. I have
uninstalled SAMBA & then reinstalled SAMBA but that did not help. Here
is a copy of the syntax that I'm using in my fstab.

//hal9000/movies  /mnt/Movies cifs
password=nfsnobody,username=nfsnobody  0  0

On the XP machine HAL9000, there is a local user names nfsnobody with a
password nfsnobody. Nfsnobody has full control on the share movies. I
also went to the directory security and add nfsnobody with full control.
Nobody seems to have an answer for this one as I'm clueless as well.
This has happened every since I went from FC4 to FC5 and was forced to
use CIFS over SMBFS. If anybody can provide some feed back on what the
problem might be I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Kendall Cobb

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or
work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.