[Samba] OpenLDAP Versions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 10 02:21:23 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 18:57 -0700, listserv.traffic at sloop.net wrote:
> Ok, I may have my other problem taken care of, but now I have a more
> theoretical question.
>
> I'm using CentOS 4.3, which is based on RHEL 4.3 and the OpenLDAP
> supplied is 2.2.13.
>
> I can hand compile a newer version but then odd things happen and the
> RHEL directories aren't as RH expects. (In short, I feel unexperienced
> enough to compile OpenLDAP for CentOS 4.3 properly.)
>
> I also can't find current RPM's for the current version of OpenLDAP.
>
> Ok, that all said, is there any reason I should NOT use OpenLDAP
> 2.2.13.
>
> Note that I'm going to generally be doing small installations on it -
> Samba PDC, shared Address Book, etc - for less than say 200 users.
> (Probably maximum half that, but I want some serious margin.)
>
> Also, perhaps a master and slave LDAP Server, and multiple Samba Servers.
----
none of this of course has anything to do with samba really...

building it yourself, you really want to leave all the other
libraries/daemons intact and build everything (cyrus-sasl, heimdal,
openssl, db4, openldap) in /usr/local and run it from there and things
are ok but of course, that is not why you use a distribution such as
RHEL or CentOS.

Symas has rpm's [1] (which I have stayed away from since they really are
in the support business, and Buchan Milne has rpm's [2] that he builds
on Mandriva which supposedly work on RHEL/CentOS (I'm speaking of
openldap 4.3.x rpm's) but I've never used Buchan's rpm's either...I have
built all from source in /usr/local following Quanah Gibson's
instructions [3] but I only do that on RHEL 3/CentOS 3 systems and for
small companies, I simply stick with 2.2.13 distribution rpm's but you
do have to be careful about things such as regularly doing a slapcat the
database, configuring DB_CONFIG for db4, live with shortcomings such as
no automatic recovery from bad shutdowns, and slurp replication instead
of the newer sync_replication options.

Craig

[1] http://www.symas.com/

[2] http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/buchan/openldap/