[Samba] magic script !!

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 23:42:56 GMT 2006

> i need to show via web browser the status of my server and most
> important, i need to show wich files are in use and his users, i need
> to backup this info into a DB and create some kind of stats of those
> files and users;
>
> i`ve read about magic script value, but i don´t understand how it
> works, is there an other way to have the same results?

'magic script' will allow you to run a UNIX script on the Samba server
when you double-click on a file in Windows Explorer - I don't think
this is what you're after.

It sounds like you want to run 'smbstatus' at regular intervals, process
the output with a script, and then use your script to generate a HTML
file on your web server and send the info to a database.

Cheers,
Adam.