[Samba] file download crashes samba

Christopher Johnson johnsocs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 00:14:19 GMT 2006

Jerry -

Sorry for the lack of information let me give you a little background.

OS: CentOS Linux
Kernel: 2.6.9-22.EL
Samba Version: 3.0.22

After spending a great deal of time looking over the log files and
crashing my samba server and my server in general the only common
thread every time is that the output just stops any where in the
lib/util.c:dump_data() call.  At times output seems to stop halfway
into dump_data and other it's in the beginning or end.  The problem
does not seem to be on any particular file an can vary anywhere from
at the beginning of the transfer or 1.2 G's into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

..Chris

----- MY CONFIG ----
[global]
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = CSJ
# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server
# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
 log level = 10
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
#   max log size = 50000

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = share

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
#   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /bin/false
   winbind use default domain = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[share]