[Samba] NSS/PAM LDAP Config

listserv.traffic at sloop.net listserv.traffic at sloop.net
Wed Jun 7 21:48:04 GMT 2006

Ok, I've been literally throwing things in my effort to fix this.
Please help me from damaging something valueable! :)

I've installed Samba 3.0.22 and OpenLDAP etc.

I've used the IDEALX scripts to create the LDAP tree etc.
Everything goes swimmingly until I try to check and see if NSS/PAM is
working right.

I use the following command as shown in SBE to check NSS/PAM working.
getent passwd | grep root
getent group  | grep Domain

These aren't working as they should.

I'm using CentOS 4.3 and I've used authconfig as the IDEALX scripts
say, and thus I have the following system-auth config in /etc/pam.d/

---
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so

password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
---

But that doesn't seem to work.

PAM is a total mystery to me, and I have absolutely no idea how to
really configure it by hand, provided the above isn't correct.

Is there a good how-to on PAM somewhere I can read?
I've done a number of searches, and some of those, as well as the SBE
example show hand-editing the files in pam.d - like login, sshd,
samba, and passwd.

In desperation, I've done that too, and no joy.

Can some kind soul please give me a hand here?

TIA
-Greg