[Samba] SOLUTION: Slow file transfers from Samba server

Bret Holbrook bret.holbrook at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 20:43:09 GMT 2006

Here was the solution to my slow file-transfer problem from Scott.  I
coincidentally did have a HP Procurve 4000m (what are the chances), ended up
swapping out the switch and presto.  I can't believe I didn't try it
before.  Thanks again Scott.

Here are some links I researched previous to this though that may help you.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg03799.html
http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html

Also if you google "slow samba" there are a plethora of discussions on it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slow+samba&btnG=Google+Search

Good luck.

Bret

I had a similar problem in the past and the problem was I locked the NIC and
I think the switch (HP Procurve 4000M I think) at 100Mb/full. Seemed like a
good idea at the time. Changing the ifconfig to auto-config and the hub as
well resolved the issue.

This is a known documented issue with the link negotiation architecture from
what I remember. There was a HP whitepaper on it.

Scott...

Scott Burns
NETCON Technologies Inc.
Voice: +1.519.652.0401