[Samba] Maximum samba file transfer speed on gigabit...

Thomas Reiß thomas at mypoint.franken.de
Mon Jun 5 08:23:49 GMT 2006

bjquinn at seidal.com wrote:
>  What
> am I missing here?  Is the overhead for Samba really that significant, or
> is there some setting I can change, or am I overlooking something else?

What Version of Samba is running?
Is it a kind of Locking Problem?

Have you tried to use this settings in smb.conf (in the Share Section):

oplocks = No
level2 oplocks = No

OR

veto oplock files = /*.dbf/

In the Book "Samba 3 by Examble" is the following Tipp for WinNT/W2k/SP:

Set

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
"EnableOplocks"=dword:00000000

and

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
"UseOpportunisticLocking"=dword:00000000

What speed have a Filetransfer with ftp?
Have you testet your Diskthrouput with bonnie (or such Tools)?
What speed did you have with a Windows Server?

Greetings
Thomas