[Samba] changing name of PDC

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun Jun 4 15:45:19 GMT 2006

The simple way to do this is to make your member server a domain
controller. SWAT has a wizard for this.

Since you are not using LDAP however, you will have problems with
accounts. They will not follow the promotion. I refer you to chapter 5
of the Official Samba Howto Collection
(http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-bdc.html).

You may be able to get the new domain controller working by copying the
entire directory containing your tdbsam files to your new machine. Make
sure Samba is shut down on both machines before doing this! Afterwards,
start up Samba only on the new server.

On the old domain controller, move (not copy) the tdbsam directory
elsewhere. This should stop the machine from retaining its old SID.
Next, use the SWAT wizard to demote the old domain controller to a
domain member server.

Under no circumstances have both machines running as domain controllers
at the same time! Either one could be picked up and the changes will not
replicate between servers. Also, only one server should be running WINS
at any one time.

NOTE: by not changing the machine names, you will have to adjust the
clients (or the logon scripts) if you are moving shares from the old
domain controller to the new one.

Good luck.