[Samba] smbclient -M not working from script

Peter Oram petero at 3g.nec.com.au
Fri Jun 2 05:24:17 GMT 2006

I have a script that is attempting to notify a user that a job has finished
however, when called from within the script nothing is received by the
user.

   ----- cut from script -----
#!/usr/bin/sh
:
:
MESSAGE="$WINNAME, your job $_3GJOB\nhas successfully completed"
echo "$MESSAGE" | /path/to/smbclient -M trout > /dev/null 2>&1
echo "$MESSAGE\n/path/to/smbclient -M trout >> logfile.txt

   ----- end of script -----

I added the last line to test that all variables are being interpreted, and
examination of the contents of logfile.txt confirms that this is the case.

When I perform the smbclient -M action from my command line it works as it
is
supposed to do.

What am I missing. Windows Messenger service is running on all Win2K and
WinXP
machines.

I am running Samba 3.0.7 on Solaris 8.

Peter Oram