[Samba] wbinfo -u works, getent passwd doesn't (samba 3.0.22 and 3.0.23rc1)

Patrick McLean chutz at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 1 15:42:48 GMT 2006

Hi, I am having problems getting winbind working properly on an x86_64
server here. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g work fine, as with wbinfo -a, but
when I try to use getent passwd, I only get local accounts.

Here is the relevant part of my nsswitch.conf:

passwd:      files winbind
shadow:      files winbind
group:       files winbind

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = XXXX
   netbios name = XXXX
   server string = #
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 5000
   log level = 1
   security = domain
   password server = *
   wins server = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   preserve case = yes
   os level = 1
   winbind separator = +
   winbind uid = 20000-30000
   winbind gid = 20000-30000
   winbind trusted domains only = yes
   winbind use default domain = yes
   allow trusted domains = yes
   load printers = no

[test]
   comment = tmp
   path = /tmp
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

I can provide output from winbindd -d 10 if needed, but it is a little
large to post on-list.