[Samba] Samba and DOS Attributes

Wayne Hammond support at mbdsoft.com
Thu Jun 1 00:16:59 GMT 2006

*** I sent this Email first before registering, this may be a
duplicate, if so... Sorry...***

I am trying to run a critical DOS (xBASE - Foxpro) application on a
Suse Linux Enterpise Server with Samba 3x...

I have turned off Oplocks2, but left oplocks on( without it,
performance is miserable).

Various commands issued through the DOS Program, Record and File
Locking, Copying Files, etc.. are causing Samba to change the file
attribute in the share to Read Only (Clients can't write to the
files). A simple chmod -R 770 clears the problem until it comes back again.

The DOS attributes don't change, even though Samba has the file as
Read Only, the DOS attribute (looking from a command prompt), is
still Read/Write...?

Samba doesn't seem to like working with DOS, Are there any options I
can set or change, or am I missing something basic.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...