[Samba] OS X Tiger Share write problems

Mike Freitas mfreitas at banta.com
Mon Jul 31 14:53:15 GMT 2006

I have found lots of people talking about this problem, however I have
yet to come across a solution.  None of the OS X 10.4.x systems can
write to a Samba share on a RH 7.3 server with Samba "Version
2.2.7-security-rollup-fix"  Windows and Linux can read and write with no
problems.  All systems can write to a samba 3 server running RHEL 4,
I've compared smb.conf files and can't find anything major different.
The Mac systems can connect and read the files, but when you attempt to
edit or write a file, you get an access permission error.  I have a
level 10 log from the server for that client that can be submitted as
well.  Other steps I've tried:

Set UID for OSX machine to same as linux server
Make directory 777 to eliminate file permission errors

The only thing I have been able to come up with is that people say that
it is a bug in OS X Tiger, others have stated that it may have something
to do with OS X only using NTLMv2 for Authentication, however since I
can connect and read all files, that seems weird.  Also, I can delete
files using the finder and I can edit files using Mac OS Text Editor.
If I touch a file locally I can copy that file over, it almost seems
like creating the file works, but when the rest of the data is copied to
the share, it has a permission error as if it's trying to overwrite
itself before it's done writing in the first place.  Apple support
claims it is a server configuration error, even though previous versions
of OS X work just fine.  Let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks.
      Mike