[Samba] 3.0.22 smbd/oplock.c:oplock_timeout_handler

Miguel Da Silva cibonato at fcien.edu.uy
Sun Jul 30 20:45:05 GMT 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:43:14 -0700
Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> > Dmitry Melekhov skrev:
> > >Hello!
> > >
> > >Our users created very large excel file - about 60 Mb, then when they
> > >want to open it from samba share, they can't.
> > >I see in log:
> > >
> > >[2006/07/26 12:33:20, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_timeout_handler(366)
> > > Oplock break failed for file file.xls -- replying anyway
>
> That means the client failed to reply to the break request.
> Usually means a network or client driver/software problem.
>
> Get a network trace to be sure.
>
> > >Could you tell me what can I do to solve this problem?
> > >
> > >btw, there are no problems in network, looks like file is too large
> > >and timeout is because of it's size...
>
> How do you know there are no problems in the network - have
> you done a trace ?
>
> People have this wonderful faith in their networks. I remember
> feeling the same until I consistently had ssh sessions fail in
> the middle of a multi-gigabyte transfer. Replacing the switch
> with a more expensive one fixed the problem. Most cheap networking
> hardware is junk.
>
> Jeremy.
> --

Any hints of a software/method to check the network? Many users use to say to me that if they can browse a page (any page in the world), the Windows network have to work too.

I have some problems at work that makes think that something is going bad in the network.

Thank you.

--
Miguel Da Silva.
Servicio de Informatica.