[Samba] Problems accessing shares with dollar signs

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 14:22:56 GMT 2006

On 7/22/06, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> Josh Kelley wrote:
>
> > From my CentOS 4.3 box running Samba 3.0.21b, mounting
> > \\server\data$ (a Windows Server 2003 DC) or \\domain\data$
> > (the same share, shared over DFS) using mount.cifs doesn't
> > give any errors, and I can do an ls of the top-level
> > directory, but when I try to do an ls of a
> > subdirectory, I get the top-level directory listing
> > again.
>
> The CIFS fs did not support MS-DFS last I checked.

It does; I am able to access other DFS shares (netlogon and sysvol are
the only two I have configured), and I can see the top-level directory
of data$ and software$, but I can't see any subdirectories.

> >> From the same box, using smbget or smbclient's mget command works.
> >
> >> From the same box, using smbclient's tar command fails;
>
> What version of Samba are you using here ?

3.0.21b.  I retested against 3.0.23a with the same results; I also
noticed some errors similar to the following in smbclient's tar's
output:
Server packet had invalid SMB signature! opening remote file
\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional\program files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\R (\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional\program
files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\)
(They were probably there earlier and I just overlooked them.)

> > From my Fedora Core 5 box running Samba 3.0.23, mount.cifs
> > gives the same symptoms.  smbclient gives errors similar
> > to the following upon cd'ing into most (but not all)
> > subdirectories and then running ls:
> > client_check_incoming_message: received message with mid
> >     11 with no matching send record.
> > SMB Signature verification failed on incoming packet!
> > As a result, neither smbclient's mget nor its tar work.
>
> I'd file a bug.  We will also need a level 10 debug log
> from the client and probably a raw network trace (included
> as attachments).
>
> Also please retest 3.0.23a (released yesterday).  Thanks.

I've been unable to replicate that exact error message in 3.0.23 or in
3.0.23a; I did take debug logs and network traces of the above errors
and filed them as bug #3968.

Thanks for your help.

Josh Kelley