[Samba] SOLVED: 3.0.23 for Debian Sarge: LDAP problems

Uwe Laverenz laverenz at molkerei-ammerland.de
Thu Jul 27 09:47:17 GMT 2006

Hi all,

> Does anybody have an idea what the problem might be?

I have found the reason for the problem: Samba 3.0.23 and
3.0.23a do not parse the "passdb backend" entry in the smb.conf
correctly anymore (tested on Debian Sarge and FreeBSD 6.1).

According to the smb.conf man page, it is allowed to put the ldap
URIs in double qoutes:

    passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap-1.example.com \
                  ldap://ldap-2.example.com"

This does not work for 3.0.23(a) anymore, it works as soon as you
remove the double quotes. I guess it has to do with the fact that
the use of multiple passdb backends is not supported with 3.0.23.

Thanks,
Uwe