[Samba] Files left open

Jack Gostl gostl at argoscomp.com
Wed Jul 26 15:12:08 GMT 2006

I've had this problem for awhile, but it didn't seem to make sense to pursue
it with 3.0.23 coming out. Now I'm running 3.0.23a on AIX 5.1 ML3 (although
I've seen this on 5.3 as well). So I'm back asking for more help.

I have a program running in a Win2K box using Dialogic libraries. When the
dialogic code speaks a prompt, it is given a file name and it speaks
directly from the file. The files in question are on the RS/6000 and
presented to the dialogic via a share. The problem is that the files stay
open. Both smbstatus and fuser confirm that the file is open. As the system
progresses, more and more files open until the inevitable failure occurs.

This doesn't happen with other applications such as vi or winzip. Files open
and close properly. We spoke to Dialogic support and they said that since it
works on local files its not their problem. Not the most helpful answer but
its the only one I've got.

I'm running with posix locking = no. Still nothing.

The smbstatus line says:

155532       297        DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/records/vocab
           48888927.1   Wed Jul 26 10:54:19 2006

I'm ready to throw in the towel and go to NFS. (The problem doesn't occur
under NFS.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jack